Students of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, arrested and remanded at the Ubiaja Correctional Centre over a recent protest, have been released alongside other detainees.
The release was confirmed in a statement issued on Thursday by the Chief Press Secretary to Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, Patrick Ebojele.
The students were among 52 persons remanded by a Benin High Court on charges bordering on malicious damage and armed robbery following a protest against insecurity in Ekpoma that turned violent last Saturday.
The protest, which began peacefully, was reportedly hijacked by hoodlums who attacked traders, set tyres ablaze and blocked roads. Videos of the incident later circulated on social media.
Governor Okpebholo met with the released students and other affected persons during a stakeholders’ engagement at the Banquet Hall of Government House, Benin, where he reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to dialogue, reforms and the development of the university.
The governor said he was deeply saddened by the violence, particularly as his administration was focused on reviving the institution.
“I was highly in pain when I saw what was happening in my place. The day I was sworn in, I said I was going to revive Ambrose Alli University,” he said.
Okpebholo disclosed that the university previously operated on a subvention of ₦41 million, which he said was grossly inadequate, while a consultant reportedly received ₦59 million under the last administration. He added that his government has increased the institution’s subvention to ₦500 million to reposition it.
He further revealed that outstanding salary and wage arrears owed to university staff stood at about ₦41 billion, noting that plans were underway to gradually clear the backlog.
The governor cautioned students against allowing themselves to be used by criminal elements, urging them to remain focused on their studies and adopt peaceful means of engagement.
“Don’t allow yourself to be used. Read your books so that you can be like us,” he said.
READ ALSO: Edo Orders Release of 38 AAU Students After Ekpoma Unrest
Acknowledging the security challenges in Ekpoma and other parts of the country, Okpebholo described insecurity as a collective problem, adding that investigations showed many criminal activities in the area were perpetrated by locals.
He condemned the destruction of shops and looting during the protest, describing such actions as counterproductive, and assured residents that criminals would not find safe haven in Edo State.
Commissioner for Education, Dr Paddy Iyamu, commended the governor for facilitating the release of the students and opting for dialogue over force, while other speakers at the meeting also praised the intervention.
The meeting was attended by the Deputy Governor, Dennis Idahosa; the Chief of Staff, Gani Audu; the Minister of Youth; the Senior Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu on Youth Engagement; and other top government officials.
