The Defence Headquarters has refuted reports suggesting the existence of a terrorist stronghold in the South-West, stating that available intelligence does not support such claims.
In a statement released on Tuesday, May 19, in Abuja, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Michael Onoja, said military efforts in the region remain focused on rescuing abducted victims and dismantling criminal networks.
He noted that the Chief of Defence Staff, Olufemi Oluyede, had extended condolences to the government and residents of Oyo State, as well as families affected by the recent school attack in Oriire Local Government Area.
Onoja described the abduction of students and school personnel as unacceptable, assuring that security forces were fully committed to securing their safe return.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.
He urged the public to remain calm and continue to provide useful information to security agencies, stressing that community cooperation is critical to ongoing operations.
READ ALSO: South-West herders-farmers clashes, cases of terrorism – Yoruba leaders
According to him, troops had earlier conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, successfully dislodging criminal elements from the area.
He emphasised that the incident in Oyo does not indicate the presence of a coordinated insurgent structure in the South-West.
“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.
“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements,” he said.
Onoja disclosed that troops had already engaged the perpetrators and were maintaining pressure through sustained pursuit across forest corridors.
He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilante groups were ongoing to track down those responsible and restore order.
He reiterated that intelligence from residents would be vital in aiding rescue efforts and preventing further attacks.
“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he added.
