Harry Maguire has expressed disappointment after being omitted from England’s squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup by national team manager Thomas Tuchel.
The defender admitted he was “shocked and gutted” by the decision, despite believing he had done enough during the just-concluded season to earn a place in the squad.
Speaking in an interview with Talksport on Thursday, the Manchester United centre-back said he had expected to play an important role for England at the tournament.
“I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had,” Maguire said.
The former England captain added that learning of his exclusion came as a major disappointment, describing the decision as difficult to accept.
READ ALSO: Belgium Include Lukaku In World Cup Squad Despite Fitness Doubts
“I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision,” he said, while also extending his support to the players selected for the competition.
Maguire concluded by wishing the England squad success at the World Cup despite his absence from the team.
Tuchel’s squad selection has already sparked reactions among football fans and pundits, with many debating the omission of the experienced defender, who has previously been a regular figure in England’s major tournament squads.
