Tears flowed in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, on Friday as family members, colleagues and sympathisers gathered to bury Adesiyan Joel Adegboye, one of the teachers killed during last week’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
Adegboye was laid to rest at his residence in Owolake after a funeral service at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso.
The teacher was among victims of coordinated attacks carried out by armed men who invaded Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School and L.A Primary School, Esiele, on motorcycles.
The assault reportedly left multiple casualties and several pupils, students and teachers abducted, including Vice Principal Mrs Alamu Folawe.
During the burial service, Reverend Paul Olaleye of Ayegun Baptist Church urged mourners to remain steadfast despite the tragedy.
“Death will not tell anybody the day and time it will come, but we need to prepare ourselves because after death, we will know whether we have eternal joy or eternal sorrow,” Olaleye said.
“We need to prepare, life is unpredictable and fragile, a day is coming that we will stand before God’s throne and give account of what we come to do in life. We need to start behaving as if it’s time for us to die.”
Adegboye’s elder brother, Sangotoye Olaolu Oyegun, described the deceased as a major pillar in the family and demanded justice.
He said the late teacher would be remembered for his positive impact on the family, church and community.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers in Oyo State, Hassan Ajibola, also paid tribute to Adegboye, describing him as compassionate, humble and dedicated.
“Your colleagues admired your simplicity, your students respected your values, and your friends cherished your kindness,” Ajibola said.
READ ALSO: Oyo Government Denies Release Of Abducted Students, Teachers From Oriire Schools
“Today, the classrooms you once taught in need your voice. The staff room needs your presence. The union needs your courage.”
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force in Oyo confirmed that six suspects had been arrested over the attack.
Police spokesperson Ayanlade Olayinka said investigations showed the gunmen operated on motorcycles and attacked the schools simultaneously.
“We have six suspects in custody, and they are assisting the investigation,” he said.
Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde said the government was working with security agencies to secure the release of abducted victims.
“We have just concluded a review of the security situation, following the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren,” Makinde said.
Traditional rulers, religious leaders and socio-political groups across Oyo State have since condemned the attacks and called for stronger security measures to protect schools and rural communities.
