US, Iran Edge Closer To Fragile Peace Deal As Trump Signals

The United States and Iran are moving closer to a tentative agreement aimed at formally winding down months of conflict in the Middle East, with US President Donald Trump saying key elements of a deal have been “largely negotiated,” including the reopening of the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

Speaking on his Truth Social platform on Sunday, May 24, 2026, Trump stressed that while progress has been made, the arrangement remains incomplete and “subject to finalization” between Washington, Tehran, and other involved parties.

One of the most significant proposals reportedly on the table is the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz — a critical global oil shipping route that has been disrupted amid Iranian restrictions during the conflict.

Any move to restore passage through the waterway is expected to ease pressure on global energy markets.

Trump said, “An Agreement has been largely negotiated… In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” though he provided no operational details.

Diplomatic sources say leaders from several Middle Eastern states, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, and Bahrain, took part in a high-level call with the US president on Saturday. Representatives from Turkey and Pakistan were also involved in the discussions.

Pakistan, which previously helped facilitate direct talks between US and Iranian delegations earlier in the year, has indicated willingness to host another round of negotiations soon.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said the latest discussions helped sustain momentum for peace efforts, with Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir also participating in the diplomatic call.

Trump also confirmed a separate conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing it as productive.

The US and Israel were previously involved in strikes on Iran that triggered the wider conflict, which escalated before a temporary ceasefire was established in April.

Despite the apparent breakthrough, major sticking points remain unresolved. The New York Times reported that while an “apparent commitment” by Tehran to address its enriched uranium stockpile has been discussed, the technical details of implementation are still unclear. US officials insist Iran cannot retain materials that could be used for weapons development.

Iranian officials, however, maintain that nuclear issues are not part of the initial framework and insist only a broad memorandum of understanding is currently being negotiated.

READ ALSO: Iran Denies Strait Attack As Trump Pushes New War Deal Talks

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei described the talks as a “trend towards rapprochement,” but cautioned that a final agreement is not guaranteed.

He said both sides are working toward a framework deal, with detailed negotiations expected within 30 to 60 days.

On Tehran’s side, officials have issued strong warnings against renewed military action. Parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Iran’s armed forces remain fully prepared, warning that any return to war would be met with a forceful response.

Tensions remain high in the wider region. In Lebanon, state media reported renewed Israeli strikes in the south despite an April ceasefire.

A Lebanese army position was hit, leaving one soldier wounded, while Israel confirmed casualties near the border area.

Hezbollah continues to play a role in the broader confrontation, with the group stating it had received assurances from Iran’s foreign minister that support would not be withdrawn.

While diplomatic momentum is building, officials on all sides warn that the path from a framework agreement to lasting peace remains uncertain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.