Gunmen kill community leader, bricklayer in Delta

NOSA AKENZUA, ASABA

Unknown gunmen have reportedly killed the immediate past chairman of Ugbori community in Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State, Prince Godwin Metie. 

It was gathered that the community leader was shot dead at about 9pm on Monday. 

Metie was reportedly attacked at Merogun, a volatile area of Warri, Delta’s commercial city. 


It was further gathered that the deceased was reportedly waylaid by some mask-wearing hoodlums who opened fire on him. 

Sources said that the victim gave up the ghost at the scene of the incident.

Similarly, a bricklayer, simply identified as Uruese, has been reportedly murdered by gunmen suspected to be cultists. 

Uruese, also fondly called Iron Monkey, was killed at Orerokpe in Okpe council area of the state last Friday.  

The deceased, who lived around a street close to the council’s secretariat, was shot through the window while sleeping. 

Contacted, the Delta Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, said she was unaware of the alleged killing of the former Ugbori community chairman, but confirmed the death of Uruese at Orerokpe. 

Speaking on Uruese’s killing, Onovwakpoyeya,  said, “The one that was shot while he was sleeping is true. The investigation is on. The woman (Uruese’s wife) was saying that previously, she noticed marks of caning on the husband and all of those things and she asked. But he didn’t give her any satisfactory response”. 

She, however, promised to provide information on the killing of Metie, who was murdered at the Merogu area of Warri. 

Also in Asaba, residents of Nnebisi road and its environs have called on the police to redouble its efforts with a view to ensuring they can sleep with their two eyes closed

It was gathered that the residents are currently facing difficult times in the hands of suspected cultists, who double as armed robbers, to rob them at gunpoint during nightfall as well as shooting sporadically into the air to scare passersby away from preventing them from carrying out their nefarious activities. 

Last Monday, a reporter with The Pointer Newspaper ( names withheld) was robbed at gunpoint behind Kowe Plaza along Nnebisi road in Asaba. 

The victim, who spoke to our correspondent, said, “They were numbered four with guns and they robbed me at gunpoint, disappeared with my handset I bought recently. Every night, these hoodlums will be staying around the Kowe Plaza to rob unsuspecting residents in the area and at times they will shoot into the air to scare people.”

But the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Onome Onowakpoyeya, who confirmed the incident, said that the police were mobilised to arrest those behind the nefarious activities in the area, adding, “We have mobilised to the area and very soon, those behind the nefarious activities would be brought to arrest and residents can sleep with their two eyes closed.”



.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.