FCT Election: ADC Accuses Wike Of Interference, Reports IReV Disruption

The African Democratic Congress has accused the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, of directly interfering in Saturday’s Area Council elections by visiting polling units across Abuja under the guise of monitoring the process.

In a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, on Saturday, February 21, the party said Wike had no constitutional role in the electoral exercise and that his presence at polling units during active voting was inappropriate and potentially intimidating.

“Wike’s ‘monitoring’ exercise, after unilaterally imposing a curfew on potential voters, represents direct interference in the election.

“He is not a registered voter in the FCT, and as a known partisan and cabinet minister, Wike has no constitutional role in the election exercise,” the statement read.

“His presence during active voting is therefore not only vexatious and meddlesome, but also risks intimidating voters and officials,” the ADC added.

The party also raised alarm over what it described as voter suppression and intimidation in parts of the territory.

“The ADC has received reports of voter suppression and intimidation in parts of the FCT, including alleged collaboration between APC agents and some security personnel,” the statement said.

READ ALSO: Wike Storms Abuja Polling Units, Monitors Area Council Elections

The ADC further flagged concerns about disruptions to the INEC Result Viewing Portal, saying the platform had remained inaccessible even as results were being collated across the territory.

“We also note disruptions to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IReV), which has remained inaccessible even as results are being collated.

“We find this a curious coincidence and call on INEC to urgently restore full IReV functionality, with a clear public explanation of the disruption,” the party said.

The ADC called on its party agents and voters to remain calm but vigilant and to document all incidents observed during the election.

The statement comes amid reports of low voter turnout across the FCT, which observers and opposition parties have partly attributed to the curfew imposed by Wike from 8 pm on Friday through to 6 pm on Saturday.

The ADC had earlier objected to the restriction, calling it a premature measure designed to suppress voter participation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.