Wike Vows Ongoing Clearance of Criminal Hideouts in FCT

The Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, on Sunday, the 10th of August, 2025, said it will continue demolishing shanties and parks used as criminal hideouts across the Federal Capital Territory.

The administration described the work as an ongoing effort to protect residents and improve the city’s appearance.

Recall that last week, teams from the FCTA Development Control Department, Security Services and the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) cleared locations flagged as major security risks and eyesores.

The operation included demolition of illicit structures, impounding of vehicles and seizure of weapons.

The FCTA said a mop-up operation will follow to stop criminal elements from returning.

He said: “The operation was a targeted public safety intervention based on credible intelligence, and not an act of persecution against anyone.
Security agencies, including the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and the Department of State Services (DSS), identified several locations and facilities that serve as a criminal hideouts and safe havens across the Federal Capital City (FCC).

Notable in these areas were the Banana Green Belt, extending from the Central Mosque area towards the Zone 3 and Zone 1 of Wuse District, including Area 10 corridor.

In these areas, innocent citizens are assaulted by assailants who then run to seeks refuge within the surrounding Banana Green Belt/vegetation cover to escape arrest.

READ ALSO: Police Nab FCTA Director for Alleged Forgery

The intelligence obtained and verified through several surveillance and undercover investigations of these locations, amongst which was the Jazz and Blues Entertainment at Panorama Recreational Park, Wuse Zone 3, was that a segment of the park containing shanties and batchers had evidence of sustained criminal activity tied to organized networks operating within the FCT.

Thus, in accordance with Abuja’s Development Control Regulations and public safety protocols, the FCTA, with other security agencies commenced a city-wide cleanup exercise of all identified criminal hideouts across the FCC on Wednesday, August 6, 2025, so as to remove these criminal hideouts, and restore sanity and security to the FCC. A segment of the Jazz and Blues Entertainment at Panorama Recreational Park, Wuse Zone 3, which housed criminal activities was among the locations visited.

Contrary to claims of abrupt action, the FCTA Department of Development Control issued several Contravention Notices to the Park’s Management prior to the exercise carried out on the August 6, 2025.

In February 2024, a formal notice was issued to inform the park operator of the identified infractions. This was followedby three formal notices between October 2024 and June 2025, and a final eviction order dated July 25, 2025.

However, these Contravention Notices issued by the FCTA were completely ignored. “For the avoidance of doubts, the FCTA wishes to state that the main facilities/activities within the park (i.e. the football field, its viewing platforms, the Gymnasium area, and several other facilities) were unaffected and remain functional following the removal of these criminal elements from the park.

“While the FCTA acknowledges and respects the military service of Air Commodore Balogun, it reiterates that national service is not a license for any individual to harbour criminal elements/activities, and endanger the general public.

Not minding any orchestrated media reports, the FCTA will continue with the city-wide cleanup exercise in the coming weeks and this shall be extended to other Districts within the FCC, in order to achieve the administration’s goal of building a city where its residents will be safe to live, work and recreate.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.