Horror In Oyo As Kidnappers Beheads Teacher, Video Sparks Outrage

Tragedy has hit Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, following the confirmed killing of one of the teachers abducted from the institution, Michael Oyedokun.

Oyedokun was reportedly beheaded by his captors, with a disturbing video allegedly released by bandits on Sunday showing the moment of his killing.

The footage, which later circulated on Telegram and was obtained by reporters on Monday, showed the victim tied up and forced to speak before being gruesomely executed.

The circulation of the video has triggered widespread outrage and renewed concerns over the safety of other victims still held in captivity, as families and residents continue to call for urgent intervention by security agencies.

The community has been thrown into mourning, with growing demands on the Oyo State Government and security forces to intensify rescue operations and ensure the safe return of remaining abductees.

Confirming the incident, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, said in a statement on Monday that the governor had expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and assured that efforts were ongoing to rescue other victims.

He said the government was deploying both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies to secure the release of those still in captivity, while also working closely with security agencies.

Dr. Olanrewaju further disclosed that about six suspects connected to the kidnapping incident had been arrested, including individuals believed to be informants and logistics supporters of the attackers.

READ ALSO: Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Warns Govs Over Rising Insecurity In South-West 

He also confirmed that security operatives involved in the rescue mission encountered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) planted by the kidnappers, resulting in casualties among soldiers, Amotekun Corps members, and local vigilantes. According to him, injured personnel are responding positively to treatment, and the government will cover their medical care.

He appealed for patience from families of the victims, religious leaders, and residents, stressing that efforts were ongoing to bring all abducted persons home safely.

“So, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly,” he said.

He added that seven teachers were originally abducted during the attack, noting that intelligence reports confirmed that one of them, a mathematics teacher, had been killed by the terrorists.

Meanwhile, Governor Makinde’s administration said some progress had been made in the investigation, with several suspects already in custody as security operations continue.

PUNCH Online reports that gunmen invaded the school on Friday, May 15, abducting the principal, teachers, and several students. The attack has further heightened fears over rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.