Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Warns Govs Over Rising Insecurity In South-West 

The pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has voiced concern over rising insecurity in the South-West following coordinated attacks on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

In a statement released on Sunday, May 17, by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, the organisation said its leader, Reuben Fasoranti “was saddened to hear of this unfortunate incident which occurred the same week he marked his 100th year on earth.

Fasoranti also extended sympathy to victims and their families, while offering prayers for those injured.

The group warned that the pattern of abductions and violent attacks across the South-West and parts of Kwara State signals a growing and coordinated threat.

“These incidents reinforced growing fears that the terrorists appeared determined to overrun the South-West and, ultimately, the entire south,” Ajayi said.

Afenifere criticised what it described as a lack of urgency by governors in the region, stating that their recent actions do not reflect the seriousness of the security challenges.

According to the group, measures previously announced by state governments, including surveillance systems and other interventions, have yet to yield the expected results.

Ajayi said the steps taken so far “do not suggest that they appreciate the enormity of the responsibility they shoulder concerning the security of their land”.

READ ALSO: Viral Video Sparks Outcry As Abducted Oyo School Principal, Students Beg For Help

The organisation also questioned the implementation of earlier agreements among South-West governors and the effectiveness of investments such as CCTV infrastructure in Ogun State, surveillance aircraft in Oyo State, and other security initiatives in Ondo State.

“In view of the fact that the primary duty of government is the security and welfare of the people, governments in the South-Western states of Nigeria must prove that they are alive to their constitutionally assigned responsibilities,” the statement read in part.

“Everything must be done to ensure that no area in the region experiences an attack by kidnappers and bandits anymore,” it added.

Afenifere urged governors across the region to prioritise the safety of citizens and take more decisive action.

“Every necessary step must be taken to ensure that terrorists do not have a place, not to talk of a foothold, in Yorubaland – from Lagos up to Kogi, including Edo and Delta states,” the group said.

Despite its criticism, the organisation acknowledged the swift response of the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, who visited the affected area and inaugurated the Police’s Violent Crime Response Unit.

It expressed hope that the initiative would help strengthen efforts to combat banditry and other crimes in the region.

Afenifere concluded by stressing that while the Federal Government holds overall responsibility for national security, state governments must also fully utilise available resources to protect lives and property.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.