Re-elected Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state’s Attorney General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank accounts.
Adeleke disclosed this during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
The governor said his decision followed an intervention by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who he said personally contacted him over the dispute.
Asked whether he was prepared to put the political disagreements and the EFCC case behind him, Adeleke said he had already taken steps to end the legal battle.
“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr. President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.
The governor had earlier challenged the EFCC’s decision to restrict access to the state government’s bank accounts, describing the action as politically motivated and harmful to the operations of his administration.
The account restrictions had triggered a legal dispute between the Osun State Government and the anti-graft agency, with Adeleke accusing the commission of interfering with the finances of the state.
The controversy intensified because the restrictions were imposed shortly before the Osun governorship election, prompting the governor and his supporters to raise concerns about possible political motives.
President Tinubu subsequently intervened in the matter and directed the EFCC to lift the restrictions on the state government’s accounts and discontinue the related legal proceedings.
Adeleke’s latest decision to withdraw the lawsuit signals an attempt to draw a line under the dispute following his successful re-election.
The governor also spoke about reports that some of his supporters and government officials had been invited by the EFCC for questioning.
He said he had directed his lawyers to provide the necessary legal support to those affected.
“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.
Adeleke also referred to allegations by members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun that federal institutions were being used against his administration.
“I’m sure the APC in Osun, according to them, they are telling us they are using federal might,” he added.
The governor’s comments came shortly after his victory in the closely contested Osun governorship election, in which he secured another term in office.
His decision to withdraw the EFCC suit is expected to ease tensions between the Osun State Government and the Federal Government as Adeleke begins preparations for his second term.
The development also comes amid Adeleke’s stated intention to move beyond the political disputes surrounding the election and focus on governance following his re-election.
