A heavy exchange of gunfire was reportedly going on between Nigerian security forces and ISWAP/Boko Haram terrorists in Babangida, the headquarters of Tarmuwa Local Government council of Yobe State, Sunday night.
Babangida is about 50km north-east of Damaturu, the state capital.
Security and local sources said insurgents were engaging troops of Operation Hadin Kai in a fierce gun battle at press time.
A resident of Babangida, Adamu Gidado who escaped from the war-torn town to Damaturu, told newsmen that many residents had also run into the bush to avoid being caught in the crossfire.
Gidado said he saw heavy military reinforcement heading towards Tarmuwa as he was heading to Damaturu.
“People in Babangida have run to the bush out of fear. I saw heavy military reinforcement as I was driving back to Damaturu, ” he recounted.
A security source also confirmed the situation, saying ”The Boko Haram boys are currently engaging in fire with our troops in Babangida now. But we have mobilised heavy reinforcement to the town.
Meanwhile, in Sokoto, no fewer than 17 security guards were killed by bandit terrorists at the weekend.
A member of the Sokoto State House of Assembly representing Sabon Birni north, Aminu Gobir, said 17 security agents were killed in a Friday evening attack in Dama village in the state.
Some soldiers, it was also gathered, were killed on the attack, while others fled following the pounding of their camp in a school in the village, reports indicated.
A security vehicle was reportedly burnt down by the terrorists.
Gobir said the security agents killed include nine soldiers, five mobile police officers and three officers of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps.
A childhood friend to one of the civil defence officers killed during the attack, Rilwanu Nagwaria, said the slain officer he identified simply as Sulaiman died a hero.
“He paid the supreme price, he gave his life for the freedom of others. Let us always remember that freedom comes at a price and let’s also remember who paid the price,” Nagwaria said.
A security source at the Sokoto Police Command said corpses of the dead security agents had been deposited at the Specialist Hospital in Sokoto.
This is coming after the Department of state security service, DSS recently hinted the Federal Government of the relocation of Boko Haram terrorists from North-east.
