A Federal High Court on Wednesday advanced a civil lawsuit filed by activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, over his arrest, prosecution and detention following the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest held on October 20, 2025.
Sowore disclosed developments in the case via a statement posted on his official X account, noting that the suit seeks a public apology, financial compensation and enforcement action against the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, the Nigeria Police Force, and the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation.
According to him, the matter came up for hearing earlier in the day, but neither the police nor their legal representatives appeared in court. After reviewing the circumstances, the presiding judge, Justice Umar, formally recorded the absence of the defendants.
Sowore said the court agreed with the position of his legal team, led by Marshal D. F. Abubakar, and ruled that the case was ripe to proceed to the next stage. The judge consequently ordered that, at the next adjourned date, the claimants would adopt their written briefs and submissions.
Following that process, the court is expected to fix a definite date for judgment.
READ ALSO: Sowore Demands Justice as Court Decides Nnamdi Kanu’s Fate Today
The activist described the lawsuit as part of a broader push for accountability over what he called the unlawful arrest, trial and imprisonment of peaceful protesters during the October 2025 demonstration.
“We remain confident and committed to pursuing justice and accountability for the unlawful actions carried out against peaceful protesters during that historic protest,” Sowore said.
The case adds to ongoing public debate over policing, the right to protest, and accountability of security agencies in Nigeria.
