The Federal Government has begun paying approved outstanding allowances for 2025 to Nigerian students benefiting from the Bilateral Education Agreement Scholarship Programme in partner countries overseas.
The development was announced on Wednesday in a statement shared by the Federal Ministry of Education on X and signed by the ministry’s Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade.
According to the statement, “the Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars.”
Minister of Education, Maruf Alausa, explained that the released amount covers 50 per cent of the approved outstanding payments for 2025, noting that arrangements are being made to settle the remaining balance.
READ ALSO: FG To Clear N8bn Debt Owed BEA Scholars, Says Programme Was Abused
He disclosed that the funds had already been credited to embassy accounts and said Nigerian missions affected by the process were expected to commence immediate payment to qualified students.
Beneficiaries were also urged to keep checking their accounts as the disbursement process begins.
The BEA scholarship scheme enables Nigerian students to pursue studies in partner countries with support from the Federal Government.
Although the programme has since been discontinued, beneficiaries still under the scheme have repeatedly raised concerns over delays in the payment of their allowances.
The latest intervention is expected to reduce the financial burden faced by many of the affected scholars abroad.
Alausa stated that the payment reflects the commitment of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, to supporting the welfare and academic progress of Nigerian students studying overseas under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
The Federal Government also reiterated its resolve to meet all legitimate obligations owed to Nigerian scholars while continuing to implement policies aimed at improving education, student welfare, and human capital development in the country.
