A FIFA vice-president and member of the organisation’s council, Sandor Csanyi, has withdrawn his support for FIFA President Gianni Infantino, citing concerns over the governing body’s recent decisions and the dismissal of senior official Kevin Lamour.
Csanyi, a Hungarian billionaire businessman and president of the Hungarian Football Federation, communicated his decision in a letter sent to Infantino on Tuesday and seen by AFP on Wednesday.
In the letter, Csanyi said he no longer had confidence in Infantino’s leadership, arguing that several recent developments had undermined the basis of their cooperation.
“My conviction that you are capable of continuing to lead FIFA successfully and effectively in accordance with the shared values that previously formed the basis of our cooperation has been undermined,” Csanyi wrote.
He pointed to what he described as a series of controversial decisions surrounding this year’s World Cup, including alleged plans by Infantino to outsource FIFA competitions to external parties.
READ ALSO:Trump Backs Infantino, Warns FIFA Against Replacing President
Csanyi said the dismissal of Lamour, who had publicly criticised Infantino’s abandoned proposal to introduce private investment into World Cup competitions, was the decisive factor behind his withdrawal of support.
“The final straw was the unexpected dismissal of Kevin Lamour,” he said, arguing that the decision raised concerns about “professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership.”
Lamour, a Frenchman who served as FIFA’s chief operating officer, reportedly fell out with senior FIFA officials after publicly opposing Infantino’s plans to allow private investment in World Cups.
The development has also attracted criticism from UEFA.
UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister on Tuesday described Lamour’s dismissal as a “deeply troubling message” to those seeking reforms within football’s governing structures.
Csanyi’s decision represents a fresh challenge to Infantino’s leadership as FIFA faces increasing scrutiny over its governance and management of major competitions.
FIFA has yet to publicly respond to Csanyi’s letter.
