Iran Vows To Keep Strait Of Hormuz Closed Until US Meets Demands

Iran has warned that it will not reopen the strategic Strait of Hormuz until the United States fulfils a series of demands, including lifting a naval blockade, according to the country’s top negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

Ghalibaf made the declaration on Tuesday in a speech broadcast on Iranian state television, saying Tehran would maintain its position until Washington implements commitments contained in a previous memorandum of understanding.

“I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding… are implemented,” he said.

Among Iran’s demands are the removal of the naval blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and the unfreezing of Iranian assets held abroad.

The demands were reportedly included in an Iran-US truce reached in June, but the agreement later collapsed, leaving tensions between the two countries unresolved.

The conflict began on February 28 following US-Israeli attacks on Iran, triggering a wider confrontation across the region.

Diplomatic efforts that began on April 8 brought an end to the most intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have continued, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has maintained control over the strategically important waterway since the outbreak of the conflict. Vessels navigating the strait have reportedly been required to obtain permission and pay transit service fees, a policy opposed by the United States and several countries in the region.

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and the wider Arabian Sea. Any prolonged disruption to navigation through the waterway could have significant implications for global energy supplies and markets.

Iran and Oman, which both have coastlines along the strait, have held discussions for several weeks over the future of navigation.

Tehran said the geographical coordinates for a navigation route proposed by the two countries had already been agreed upon.

Iran said on Monday that negotiations with Oman were continuing “in a serious manner”, with both sides exchanging views on the text of a proposed joint statement.

The diplomatic efforts have unfolded against heightened tensions involving the United States.

US President Donald Trump has threatened military action against Oman if Muscat interferes with efforts to reach an agreement with Tehran over navigation through the strait. He has also called on Iran to surrender in the ongoing conflict.

The threats have further raised concerns over the possibility of renewed military escalation in the strategically sensitive region.

During his speech, Ghalibaf warned that Iran remained prepared to respond forcefully if confronted.

He said Iran was “ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances.”

The latest warning from Tehran suggests that control of the Strait of Hormuz remains a central bargaining tool in its confrontation with Washington, while diplomatic efforts continue to find a lasting arrangement for navigation through the vital waterway.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.