LP Petitions IGP, DSS Over Abure’s Sale Of Nomination Forms

The Labour Party has lodged formal complaints with the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of State Services (DSS) over the alleged unauthorised distribution of nomination forms by its former national chairman, Julius Abure.

The petition was disclosed on Thursday, May 21, in Abuja by the party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, during the screening of aspirants ahead of its primary elections.

Usman said the party also forwarded copies of the petitions to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that the leadership elected at its Umuahia convention remains the only recognised authority.

She expressed surprise over the development, insisting that Abure’s tenure had already been declared concluded by the court and reaffirmed through the convention.

“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his (Abure’s) tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention, and elected new leaders.

“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms,” she said.

Usman also noted that the party had not been officially served any notice regarding an appeal allegedly filed by Abure at the Supreme Court, expressing confidence that the apex court would maintain its earlier stance.

“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.

She further alleged that unsuspecting aspirants had been misled into buying unauthorised nomination forms, describing the situation as deceptive and unacceptable.

Despite the internal dispute, Usman maintained that the party remains strong, pointing to the level of interest from aspirants seeking its platform for the 2027 elections.

READ ALSO: LP Leadership Dispute: Abure Faction Heads To Supreme Court

“Judging from the number of people indicating interests to use the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.

She disclosed that three presidential aspirants have already obtained nomination forms under the party’s platform.

Usman also reiterated that the Labour Party had zoned its 2027 presidential ticket to the South, warning aspirants from the North against purchasing forms.

“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.

She added that the party was exploring a consensus arrangement ahead of its primaries, assuring that the process would be transparent and merit-driven.a

“We are hoping for consensus, but we are going to screen really well because to lead this great country, we need the best.

Whoever emerges after the screening and primaries, I assure you it will be free and fair,” she said.

Usman concluded by expressing confidence in the party’s prospects in 2027, stressing that Nigerians would ultimately decide their leaders.

“I am not afraid because I know power belongs to God, and Nigerians will come out to choose who they want to lead them,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.