US Lifts 12-Year Security Restriction On Ships From Nigeria

The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on vessels arriving in the United States from Nigeria, ending a 12-year regime of enhanced security requirements on ships calling at Nigerian ports.

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola, announced the development, describing it as a major milestone in Nigeria’s efforts to strengthen maritime security, improve port competitiveness and enhance the country’s position in the global maritime industry.

The Condition of Entry, which took effect on June 25, 2014, required vessels destined for the United States that had previously called at designated Nigerian ports within their last five port calls to undergo additional security measures and enhanced scrutiny before entering US waters.

Oyetola attributed the lifting of the restriction to sustained efforts by the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy, through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), in collaboration with relevant government agencies, port and terminal operators, shipping companies and other stakeholders.

According to the minister, the efforts focused on strengthening Nigeria’s maritime security framework, addressing identified deficiencies and ensuring compliance with internationally recognised security standards.

Over the past two years, the US Coast Guard conducted four comprehensive assessments of Nigeria’s national maritime security framework and port facilities.

The assessments were carried out in March and April 2024, March 2025 and April 2026, with the results indicating significant progress in Nigeria’s maritime security performance and implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.

The improvements ultimately led to the lifting of the Condition of Entry, according to the minister.

“The lifting of the Condition of Entry is a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector. It is a strong affirmation of the progress we have made in strengthening maritime security and implementing the ISPS Code across our ports and facilities,” Oyetola said.

“We are committed to sustaining this momentum and ensuring that Nigeria remains a safe, secure and competitive destination for international shipping,” he added.

The lifting of the restriction is expected to strengthen Nigeria’s standing among international shipping destinations and potentially improve the efficiency and competitiveness of Nigerian ports.

The minister commended the Director-General of NIMASA, Dayo Mobereola, and his team for their role in achieving the development.

Oyetola said the outcome demonstrated the importance of effective regulation, collaboration among maritime stakeholders and sustained investment in security infrastructure.

The development also marks a significant step in Nigeria’s efforts to improve compliance with international maritime security requirements and strengthen confidence among global shipping operators.

The Federal Government said it remained committed to sustaining the progress recorded and ensuring that Nigerian ports continue to meet international security standards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.