South Africa’s controversial anti-migrant movement, March and March, has issued a fresh September 30 deadline for undocumented foreign nationals to leave the country, escalating an already tense debate over migration and xenophobia.
The group announced the deadline as it mobilised around the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Summit hosted by South Africa, urging regional leaders to prepare for what it described as mass deportations of their undocumented citizens.
March and March spokesperson Sandile Dube said the movement planned to picket the summit under the theme, “It’s time to fetch your people”.
The organisation has accused President Cyril Ramaphosa’s administration of failing to adequately address its concerns about undocumented migration.
Dube said the movement was now better positioned than it had been during its June 30 mobilisation and described its planned action as the “mother of all National Day of Action” protests.
The group also called on South Africans to report suspected criminal activity involving foreign nationals to the police and other law-enforcement agencies.
The latest threat comes amid mounting concern among African governments over anti-foreigner sentiment in South Africa.
READ ALSO: Xenophobia: Nigeria Demands Protection For Citizens As Tinubu Snubs South African Envoy
Nigeria and several other countries have previously facilitated the return of nationals who said they no longer felt safe amid protests and hostility towards migrants.
The South African government, however, has maintained that immigration laws must be enforced through lawful state institutions rather than vigilantism.
In June, Ramaphosa said concerns about illegal immigration were legitimate but warned against violence, intimidation and xenophobia, stressing that enforcement of immigration laws was the responsibility of the state.
Ramaphosa has also acknowledged the pressure created by irregular migration but argued that it should not be blamed for all of South Africa’s economic difficulties.
He has linked the issue to broader challenges including unemployment, poverty, crime and pressure on public services.
The September 30 deadline therefore raises fresh concerns about possible confrontation between anti-migrant groups, foreign nationals and authorities.
It also places additional pressure on South Africa’s relationships with neighbouring countries at a time when the region is seeking greater cooperation on security, trade and migration.
The central question now is whether the government can enforce immigration laws firmly while preventing legitimate concerns from becoming a trigger for xenophobic attacks and lawlessness.
