The husband of Mary Akanbi, one of the teachers abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, has made a desperate appeal to the kidnappers, asking them to release his wife and their 18-month-old child and take him instead.
His emotional plea featured in a viral video clip from an interview conducted by media personality Chude Jideonwo, who visited Ogbomoso following the violent raid on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and LA Primary School in Oriire.
The coordinated attack left at least two people dead. About 45 pupils, alongside a principal and several teachers, were abducted. One of the kidnapped teachers was later confirmed dead while in captivity.
In the video, the distraught husband said the community had been left without protection and lamented the absence of security personnel during the incident and rescue efforts.
“We the victims, are the only people remaining in the community, with no security personnel and no protection whatsoever. Most of the security personnel who tried the rescue mission were all wasted,” the man said.
He then pleaded to be taken in place of his family.
“I will gladly give myself to them for the sake of my wife and my child. Let them free my ife and my child and just take me instead.
READ ALSO: Tinubu Condemns Killing Of Abducted Oyo Teacher, Orders Rescue Of Victims
“I am in the exact community where my family was taken. Let them come for me instead. They have taken everything; they have ruined my life.”
Another viral clip showed one of the abducted teachers calling on President Bola Tinubu and Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde to intervene urgently and secure the release of victims.
President Tinubu, in a statement on Monday, condemned the attack and the killing of one of the abducted teachers, describing it as “barbaric” and confirming that security agencies had launched a rescue operation.
“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community,” the president said.
He also expressed sympathy to Governor Makinde and the families affected, adding that federal and state authorities were working together to secure the victims’ release.
“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims,” Tinubu said, while commending security agencies for their swift response and ongoing efforts.
