The Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), has assured protesting military veterans that the Federal Government will address their concerns over pension adjustments and other welfare issues.
Musa gave the assurance on Wednesday when representatives of the protesting ex-servicemen visited the Ministry of Defence at Ship House, Abuja.
The minister, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Richard Pheelangwah, said the government remained committed to addressing the welfare, remuneration and pension concerns of retired military personnel.
The meeting followed a disrupted protest by the veterans, who had gathered to demand the implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
Heavy security had earlier been deployed around the ministry, with armed soldiers and policemen preventing the veterans from assembling at the premises for the planned demonstration.
In a statement issued by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, Musa acknowledged the sacrifices of retired military personnel and stressed that their welfare remained a priority of the Federal Government.
He said concerns over wage and pension adjustments were receiving “urgent attention”, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to find a sustainable solution.
Musa said any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly calculated, adequately funded and implemented in line with existing approvals, regulations and due process.
READ ALSO: Defence Minister Urges Security Agencies To Share Intelligence
He appealed to the protesters to remain calm and embrace dialogue, stressing that continued engagement was the best way to resolve the outstanding issues.
The minister also assured the veterans that the Ministry of Defence would continue discussions with their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.
Earlier, the planned protest reportedly resulted in a confrontation between some serving soldiers and retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the veterans from assembling at the ministry.
The ex-servicemen are particularly demanding corresponding pension adjustments following salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
One of the protest leaders, Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), said the retirees were not opposed to improved salaries for serving personnel but wanted pensioners to benefit from corresponding adjustments.
He also expressed concern over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that retired personnel were excluded from the computation.
The veterans are seeking government action to ensure that their pensions reflect the consequential adjustments arising from salary increases for serving military personnel.
