Defence Minister Assures Ex-Servicemen Of Pension Adjustment

The Federal Government has assured retired military personnel protesting over pension adjustments and other welfare concerns that their demands are receiving attention.

The Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), gave the assurance on Wednesday when representatives of the protesting veterans met with officials of the Ministry of Defence at Ship House, Abuja.

Musa, who was represented at the meeting by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Richard Pheelangwah, said the government remained committed to resolving issues concerning the welfare, remuneration and pensions of retired military personnel.

The engagement followed heightened tension around the ministry, where armed security personnel had earlier stopped the veterans from gathering for their planned protest.

The ex-servicemen are seeking consequential adjustments to their pensions to reflect salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

In a statement issued by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, Musa recognised the sacrifices of retired members of the Armed Forces and said their welfare remained a priority for the government.

He said issues surrounding salary and pension adjustments were receiving “urgent attention”, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities involved in efforts to reach a lasting solution.

Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged, ” the statement partly read.

The minister urged the veterans to remain peaceful and continue with dialogue, stressing that sustained engagement was necessary to resolve the outstanding matters.

He said, “Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations and due process.”

Musa also assured the retired personnel that the Ministry of Defence would maintain discussions with their representatives and communicate developments as efforts to address their demands progressed.

He reiterated the government’s recognition of the veterans’ patriotism and sacrifices, noting that their contributions to the country should be matched with continued attention to their welfare and legitimate entitlements.

READ ALSO: Military Retirees Protest As Soldiers Block Ex-Servicemen From Defence Ministry

Earlier, the veterans’ planned demonstration was halted following the deployment of security personnel around the ministry.

The retired personnel had sought to assemble outside the Ministry of Defence to protest what they described as the failure to implement consequential pension adjustments linked to salary increases granted to serving military personnel.

The attempt reportedly resulted in a confrontation between some serving soldiers and the retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the gathering.

The veterans have maintained that they are not against improved salaries for serving members of the military but want pensioners to receive corresponding adjustments.

Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), one of the protest leaders, said the group supported salary increases for serving personnel but insisted that retired military personnel should not be left out of related pension adjustments.

He also expressed concern over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that pensioners were excluded from the computation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.