Panic broke out in Osogbo on Wednesday, August 19, after gunmen attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The attack sparked a gun battle between the suspected assailants and the governor’s security personnel, forcing traders and residents around the area to flee for safety.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the attackers escaped.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after visiting the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness said the governor was received by the monarch and presented his Certificate of Return to him during the visit.
The meeting was reportedly winding down after the Ataoja offered prayers when the situation suddenly turned violent.
According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when gunshots were heard.
The suspected attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo before opening fire.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” the eyewitness said.
The gunfire caused panic in the neighbourhood, with traders and other residents reportedly abandoning their businesses and running for cover.
READ ALSO: Post-Election Violence: Oyebamiji Alleges Fresh Attacks On Osun APC Members
Subsequently, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
First Daily reports that the attack comes against the backdrop of heightened political tension and security concerns surrounding the Osun governorship election.
The election period was marked by allegations of threats, clashes and political violence, with rival political camps trading accusations over attacks and intimidation.
The heightened atmosphere persisted even after the election, as political disagreements over the outcome and conduct of the poll continued.
Adeleke was declared the winner of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission after securing 511,067 votes, while the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, polled 444,815 votes.
Oyebamiji subsequently alleged that violence marred the election in parts of the state.
The latest attack adds to concerns over the security environment in Osun, particularly following an election that was already characterised by intense political competition.
Although no casualty was recorded in Wednesday’s incident, the gunfire around the traditional ruler’s palace heightened fears among residents and raised fresh concerns about political violence in the state.
The authorities have yet to publicly identify the attackers or establish their motive.
