FCT Election: PDP Disowns Candidates’ Withdrawals, Says Party Didn’t Give Consent 

The Peoples Democratic Party has condemned the withdrawal of some of its chairmanship candidates from Saturday’s FCT Area Council elections, describing the development as anti-democratic and a betrayal of the party’s core values.

In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, on Friday, February 20, the party’s National Working Committee expressed dismay over the withdrawals and accused certain party leaders of orchestrating the exits to serve the interests of the ruling administration.

“The National Working Committee of the People’s Democratic Party has received with utter dismay the news of the withdrawal or stepping down of some chairmanship candidates of our party from the forthcoming Abuja Local Council elections,” the statement read.

“This action is anti-democratic in every sense and is hereby totally condemned by the party. Democracy thrives on healthy electoral contests, not forced or induced melodramatic consensus, as currently witnessed in the build-up to the FCT local council elections,” it added.

The party pointed fingers at individuals it accused of working against the PDP’s interests from within, saying the withdrawals exposed a broader scheme to hand President Bola Tinubu an unchallenged path back to power in 2027.

“As sad as this development is, it is a pointer to the type of voodoo democracy promoted by those parading as leaders of the PDP, whose only interest is to ‘hold’ the party for the President.

READ ALSO: FCT Poll: Another PDP Candidate Steps Aside For APC After Wike’s Intervention

“This is exactly what they intended to do to Nigerians, when close to the Presidential elections, they can compel, induce or cajole all the other candidates to step down or withdraw for the President to have a smooth sail back to Aso Rock Villa, despite the abysmal performance of his administration,” it stated.

The PDP stated that it had previously distanced itself from such individuals in order to rebuild a credible opposition.

“It was for ignoble, reckless and shameless acts like these that we excommunicated them from our party, in order to rebuild a strong opposition party, prepared for a struggle to return to power by 2027.”

The party also urged voters to remain vigilant on election day. “Furthermore, voters should go to the polls prepared to protect their votes and ensure that Presiding Officers transmit Form EC8A immediately after announcing the result at the polling unit,” the statement said.

The party’s response comes after its chairmanship candidate in the Abuja Municipal Area Council, Zadna Dantani, stepped down and endorsed the APC candidate following what he described as an intervention by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike.

A similar withdrawal occurred in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP’s Julius Adamu pulled out in favour of the APC candidate.

Wike, though still officially a member of the PDP, has repeatedly aligned with the ruling APC since his appointment as FCT Minister, drawing sustained criticism from his party.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.