Lawmaker representing Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has dismissed allegations that he spearheaded the 2025 removal of former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa, stating that his involvement was limited and misunderstood.
The clarification followed comments by the Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, Femi Gbajabiamila, who recently suggested that Elliot’s actions during the crisis almost jeopardised his own position.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Elliot maintained that the impeachment process was already underway before he became involved, stressing that he neither initiated nor coordinated the move.
“It was a topic that was already dead and buried. It was sorted out and the House is already moving on. Right Honourable Mudashiru Obasa continued as the Speaker of the House,” Elliot said.
“I did not mastermind anything. I had nothing at all. The only thing I did was to append my signature when I came back and I saw a bunch of us, if not all of us, had already appended a signature to say, ‘Oh, it was the party who wanted it.’
“But eventually, the number one Asiwaju called and said, ‘I didn’t order that, I didn’t know anything about it,’” he added.
Elliot explained that he had been out of the country when the Speaker was removed and only appended his signature after returning and observing that most lawmakers had already endorsed the decision.
He noted that many members believed the move had the backing of the Presidency at the time.
He said the situation was later clarified when President Bola Tinubu distanced himself from the impeachment, prompting lawmakers to reverse the decision and restore Obasa to office.
Reacting to Gbajabiamila’s remarks, Elliot said he was taken aback, given their long-standing relationship.
READ ALSO: Desmond Elliot Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Political Dispute
“So, my leader coming to say this — that he almost lost his job — one I have served and who has always been there for me for this long, to have said that, came to me as a shock,” he said.
On his political future, Elliot denied speculation that party leaders were backing Barakat Odunuga-Bakare to replace him, noting that he had not been asked to withdraw from the race.
“Because I was not asked by him, my leader (Gbajabiamila), never,” Elliot said.
“Even the day I declared, I flew to Abuja to see him again to tell him, ‘Oga’, which is how I call him, ‘Oga, I am here again.’
“But at the end of the day, I am here to also serve the people. I do have the leadership, I do have the people. So, the president has said let the people decide. If they want you to continue, you continue.”
He also alleged that his supporters in Surulere were being subjected to intimidation and urged party authorities to address the situation.
“We are being intimidated in Surulere. If you know you are popular on ground, do not intimidate the people,” he said.
The crisis began in January 2025 when lawmakers impeached Obasa over allegations including misconduct and abuse of office.
His deputy, Mojisola Meranda, was elected Speaker, becoming the first woman to hold the role in Lagos State.
Obasa rejected the process and sought legal redress, leading to a prolonged political standoff.
The impasse was eventually resolved after Meranda stepped down and Obasa was reinstated following intervention by President Bola Tinubu, with a court later voiding the impeachment proceedings.
