Kwankwaso Seeks Probe As Sokoto Boat Mishap Claims 46 Lives

National Democratic Congress vice-presidential candidate, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has called for an investigation into the boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, which has left dozens of people dead.

Kwankwaso, in a statement issued on Friday, described the reported death of 41 people in the incident as “profoundly painful and heartbreaking” and urged authorities to improve safety standards on Nigeria’s waterways.

The accident occurred on Thursday after a boat carrying farmers and other passengers travelling to their rice farms reportedly overturned in the community.

Kwankwaso said, “I am deeply saddened by the tragic boat mishap that occurred earlier today in the Gorau community of Goronyo Local Government Area, Sokoto State, which has reportedly claimed the lives of 41 people.”

“The loss of so many lives in a single incident is profoundly painful and heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tragedy,” he added.

The former Kano State governor also praised the individuals and agencies involved in the rescue operation for their efforts to locate and assist those affected.

“I commend the rescuers and everyone who took part in the emergency response for their courageous efforts to save lives and assist the victims,” he said.

He further called on relevant authorities to establish what caused the accident and implement measures aimed at preventing similar incidents.

“I also urge the relevant authorities to promptly and thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident, and to strengthen safety measures on our waterways to prevent the recurrence of such a devastating tragedy,” Kwankwaso said.

READ ALSO: 46 Bodies Recovered From Sokoto Boat Accident, 16 Still Missing

Meanwhile, the Sokoto State Police Command disclosed that 77 people, comprising men, women and children, were travelling on the boat when it capsized.

The command subsequently said 46 bodies had been recovered, while 15 passengers were rescued alive and 16 others remained unaccounted for as the search operation continued.

Police spokesperson, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said local divers were working alongside officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the Police in the rescue effort.

“Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons,” Rufai said.

Kwankwaso expressed his condolences to the Sokoto State Government and residents, while praying for the peaceful repose of those who died in the accident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.