American rapper and singer Lil Nas X, famed for his chart-topping hit “Old Town Road,” has pleaded not guilty to felony charges following his arrest in Los Angeles last month.
According to Billboard, the 26-year-old artist, born Montero Hill, entered the plea through his legal team on Monday, September 15, as he was absent from court. His lawyers informed Los Angeles Judge Shellie Samuels that the musician is currently undergoing treatment outside California.
“We’re not going to get specific about where he is,” Judge Samuels said during proceedings. “It’s private, nobody needs to know where he is, but he is in treatment.”
The court upheld Lil Nas X’s $75,000 bail and amended his release conditions to permit him to remain out of state while receiving care. His next hearing has been scheduled for November 18.
Outside the courthouse, defence attorney Drew Findling declined to disclose details of the treatment but emphasized its importance.
READ ALSO: Lil Nas X Faces Four Felonies After Chaotic LA Street Clash
“We’re doing what is best for Montero from a personal standpoint, and a professional standpoint, but most importantly for his well-being,” Findling said.
“He is surrounded by an amazing family, an amazing team of people that care about him and love him. This is a bump that he’s gonna get over.”
Lil Nas X was arrested in the early hours of August 21 in Studio City after being filmed walking the streets in his underwear and cowboy boots. Authorities allege he resisted arrest and assaulted officers during the incident. Four felony charges were subsequently filed on August 25.
The unusual circumstances of the case have drawn significant public attention, amplified by the artist’s recent revelation that he was recovering from partial facial paralysis earlier this year. As his court battle continues, fans and the music industry are closely watching how he manages both his legal troubles and his personal health.
