US President Donald Trump marked his 80th birthday on Sunday with an extraordinary UFC event held on the White House grounds, transforming the iconic residence into a venue for mixed martial arts competition.
Thousands of enthusiastic spectators gathered as Ultimate Fighting Championship fighters battled inside a specially constructed arena in what became one of the most unusual events ever staged at the heart of American government.
In a striking departure from White House tradition, competitors in the headline bout made their entrance from the Oval Office.
Earlier in the day, Trump had finalized a long-anticipated peace agreement with Iran before the fighters emerged and proceeded to the cage.
The main event saw American fighter Justin Gaethje defeat Spanish-Georgian opponent Ilia Topuria to claim the lightweight title.
The contest was stopped after Topuria sustained severe facial injuries that prevented him from continuing, leading officials to declare Gaethje the winner.
Following the fight, Trump and First Lady Melania Trump entered the blood-stained Octagon to congratulate the victorious fighter. Gaethje, celebrating his championship win, also wished the president a happy birthday.
“Beyond anything you could imagine,” Trump, who is due to head straight to the G7 summit in France, told reporters when asked how the evening went.
The event, however, attracted criticism from opponents who argued that hosting a UFC spectacle at the White House diminished the dignity of the presidency.
Critics described it as another example of Trump, a former reality television personality, breaking long-established political norms.
One of the evening’s most controversial moments came when fighter Josh Hokit addressed the crowd and launched an attack on former First Lady Michelle Obama, declaring: “Michelle Obama is a man, am I right America?”
Several victorious fighters used their post-fight interviews to praise Trump. Two winners specifically commended the president for having the “balls” to organize the event, drawing comparisons to ancient Roman gladiatorial celebrations.
The occasion also faced scrutiny over its commercial elements. Branding from companies such as Bud Light and prediction market firm Polymarket appeared prominently throughout the venue.
The latter company has ties to Trump’s son, Don Jr., who holds a stake in the business.
A long-time supporter of mixed martial arts, Trump opened the festivities by leaving the Oval Office alongside UFC president Dana White.
The pair later stood together on the Truman Balcony during the national anthem and watched a flyover involving 12 military aircraft.
The fights took place inside a massive arena known as “The Claw,” which towered above the White House itself.
Trump and the first lady watched the action from cageside seats before the evening concluded with an elaborate fireworks display.
Branded as “UFC Freedom 250,” the event is intended to launch celebrations leading up to the 250th anniversary of American independence. It coincided with both Flag Day and Trump’s 80th birthday.
The timing of the event also drew criticism from those who argued that Americans continue to face economic challenges linked to the aftermath of the Iran conflict.
READ ALSO: Trump to Host Historic UFC Fight at White House on 80th Birthday
Despite the criticism, many attendees supported the spectacle. Watching from a giant screen on the Ellipse outside the White House, 35-year-old Virginia sports performance coach Nyles Rife acknowledged concerns but defended the president’s decision.
“I do think maybe it’s like a little bit of selfishness, but he is the leader, so he has a say,” Nyles Rife, a 35-year-old sports performance coach from Virginia, told AFP.
Mark Toone, a 50-year-old US Marine Corps veteran, also backed the event, describing the fight as “totally emblematic and representative of American culture.”
According to the White House, UFC covered the full $60 million cost of organizing the event.
Trump has frequently highlighted the UFC’s popularity, particularly among younger male audiences who form an important part of his political support base. He has promoted the White House fight night as a one-of-a-kind attraction.
Celebrations surrounding the Iran peace agreement were also visible during the event. Vice President JD Vance, who played a significant role in the negotiations, was seen embracing Trump’s Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff among the crowd.
Trump was also observed speaking with Meta chief Mark Zuckerberg. Meanwhile, the presence of Paramount executive David Ellison, a political ally of the president, underscored his media company’s acquisition of exclusive broadcasting rights for the event.
The spectacle additionally diverted attention from ongoing discussions about Trump’s health as he grows older.
The president has often contrasted his physical condition with that of former President Joe Biden, who turned 80 while in office and later abandoned his reelection campaign following a poor debate performance.
Nevertheless, questions about Trump’s own health persist. Observers have pointed to issues including bruised hands, a vein condition affecting his legs, and instances of apparent drowsiness during meetings.
Despite those concerns, Trump’s physician continues to maintain that the president remains in excellent health.
