PHOTOS: Troops Foil Mass Abduction In Zamfara, Rescue Nine Victims, Infant

Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled an attempted mass abduction in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians, including an infant.

The operation was carried out on August 16, 2026, after troops received a distress call that suspected terrorists had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.

This was made known in a midnight statement on Monday by the Media Information Officer,
Joint Task Force, Lt. Aliyu Danja.

The army said that the attackers were believed to be operating under suspected terrorist kingpin, Mallam Shuaibu.

The attack was reportedly linked to an alleged reprisal by the terrorists following the recent arrest of suspected collaborators connected to their network.

The arrested suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while allegedly attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) to support terrorist activities.

In an apparent retaliation, the terrorists reportedly concealed themselves in a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some motorists to lose control and veer off the road.

Following the distress call, troops of Sector 2, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, swiftly mobilised to the area and engaged the terrorists.

The military’s intervention reportedly disrupted the attackers’ plan to abduct civilians, forcing them to abandon their mission and flee into the surrounding forest.

READ ALSO: Troops Foil ISWAP Mass Student Abduction In Borno

The troops subsequently conducted a search of the area and successfully rescued nine civilians, including an infant, who had been caught up in the attack.

The military said two women sustained gunshot wounds during the terrorists‘ assault and were immediately evacuated for medical attention. They are currently receiving treatment.

The military noted that the operation demonstrated the troops’ readiness to respond rapidly to distress calls and prevent terrorist attacks against innocent civilians.

The army reiterated its commitment to sustaining offensive operations against terrorist networks and other criminal elements across the North-West.

The Theatre Command also urged residents to remain vigilant and provide timely and credible information on suspicious movements and activities to security agencies.

It said continued cooperation between communities and security forces remains critical to preventing attacks, protecting lives and restoring lasting peace and security across the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.