Troops Foil Coordinated Terrorist Assaults In Borno Communities

Nigerian troops under Operation HADIN KAI have successfully repelled coordinated attacks by suspected Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province fighters in parts of Borno State, the military confirmed on Monday.

The assaults, which occurred late Saturday, targeted military positions in Pulka and Mandaragirau communities.

According to a statement by the operation’s Media Information Officer, Lt. Col. Sani Uba, insurgents advancing from the Sambisa Forest axis launched a heavy attack on troops of Sector 1 stationed in Pulka.

Soldiers engaged the militants in an intense firefight, eventually pushing them back despite a brief breach of the defensive perimeter that led to damage to some equipment and accommodation facilities.

Reinforcements from 26 Brigade later arrived, forcing the attackers to retreat toward Sambisa.

Military intelligence reportedly confirmed significant terrorist casualties, including the death of a senior commander identified as Abou Aisha, who sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the neck.

Several weapons and items of equipment were also recovered. No casualties were recorded among troops during the Pulka encounter.

In a related incident, troops of Sector 2 in Mandaragirau came under a multi-directional assault by ISWAP fighters riding gun trucks and motorcycles.

The military said combat teams had been tactically positioned in anticipation of such attacks and were able to repel the assailants after a fierce exchange of gunfire.

READ ALSO: Troops Neutralise ISWAP Fighter, Recover Items In Borno

While the base was not overrun, the operation confirmed that some soldiers and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force lost their lives.

Others who sustained injuries were evacuated by air for medical treatment using Nigerian Army aviation platforms.

Describing the fallen personnel as heroes, the military said their sacrifice reflected “the highest traditions of service, courage, and commitment to the defence of Nigeria.”

Follow-up operations along the Kimba axis revealed blood trails, shallow graves and abandoned items, with eyewitness accounts suggesting that several wounded terrorists were evacuated from the battlefield by their comrades.

The High Command commended the troops for their resilience and professionalism, noting that the failed attacks highlighted mounting pressure on groups operating in the North-East.

Operation HADIN KAI reaffirmed its resolve to dismantle remaining insurgent networks and restore lasting peace to the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.